Culture and sightseeing

The border territory of the border triangle of Austria, Italy and Switzerland has been attracting people since the Bronze Age. They have left behind traces of an eventful past in the region’s buildings and culture.

  • picture 1 of 4
  • picture 2 of 4
  • picture 3 of 4
  • picture 4 of 4

Fortress Altfinstermünz

Altfinstermünz is an old fortress that once guarded the Roman Emperor transfer route Via Claudia. Via Claudia stretched from the Po valley in Italy, crossing the Alps by the Reschen Pass and ended in Augsburg, Germany. The route was in use until the new Reschen Road was built (1850-1854). Characteristics of the border fortress are the machicolation defense tower, a passageway through the premises and the square tower Sigmundseck. A long cave leads up to the tower. The renovated chapel is located close to the old toll watchtower by the Inn canyon. The Altfinstermünz Association was founded in 2001, and the club has since actively worked to restore and revitalize the fortress, making it into one of the main attractions of the region.

Opening hours:
Mid May - Mid October, Tuesday - Sunday: 11.00 am - 4.30 pm  (Monday closed)

For your visit you will get audioguides (available in five languages).

Contact:
www.altfinstermuenz.com, Ph.: 0043 (0)664 3959471

Entrance fee with the Summercard: € 5,00 adults / € 1,50 Kids. With the Summercard Gold the entrance is free (available at the tourist office).

Castle Siegmundsried

In the 13th and 14th century the castle was seat of the Counts of Ried. In 1471/72 the residence was converted into a spending hunting lodge. In 1550 the court of law was moved from Laudegg Castle to Sigmundsried. The castle had its share of owners. Fhe last family of noble descent to live here were the Sterzingers, and they left around 1750. The groined vaults in the entrance hall were painted with renaissance flowers around the year 1535/40. Painted on the two spandrels over the middle column is a Coat of Arms from the same period. All these details and more are explained during the interesting guided tour.

Museum Serfauser Lauser

When Christian Sturm bought the old farm near the Roman bridge, it came with an old ruinous mill. With patience, love and labor, Sturm spent the next five years repairing and restoring the building to its intended use. He also cultivated traditional crops on the fields surrounding the mill, and so visitors can follow the whole process of making bread - from planting to harvest to grounding the seed to the actual bread baking. His wife Gertrud tends the herb garden and the shop where visitors can buy products from the farm - it doesn't get more organic than this!

Opening hours:
Museum: Guide every Friday 1.00 und 3.00 pm,
Gerti’s Ladele: every Friday 1.30 - 5.00 pm
 

Local heritage museum in Pfunds

The museum is located in the hamlet of the village near the parish church and exhibits objects of farm life. The building dates back tho the 14th century and features a barn, a sacred room and a collection of arms. Included in this residential part of the building is a smoker, a pantry, a parlor, parlor chamber and a basement. People resided here until 1980, and no structural changes have been made for the last hundred years. This is why all built-in objects like the stove, the parlor fireplace, the tiled stove and the chimney are in excellent working conditions. Furthermore, other everyday tools, equipment and objects can be viewed. It looks like the residents just stepped out and will be back shortly.

Opening hours in summer: Sunday, 10.00 – 12.00 am und 1.30 – 4.00 pm,
Mittwoch, 1.30 – 3.30 pm

Free entry with Summercard! No registration needed

Shut-down silver mine

In Platzertal and Berglertal valleys, high above Tösens, the mine yielded galena, blackjack, fahlerz and copper pyrite until fairly recently. This was the most important ore deposit of the Landeck region. The facilities are now in ruins, but have been landmarked to be saved for future generations.

Greiter mill & saw

The Greiter mill & saw is located at the entrance to the Pfundser Tschey valley. The mill is operated with a turbine since 1952. In addition to seeing the grinding mill, one can also see other interesting objects, for example in the smoker and in the parlor. The saw is located approximately 100 m higher than the mill, and dates back to the 18th century. It was closed in 1973. The site is being restored since 1998, and is open for tourists and visitors. Highlight: "bread baking like in old times" every second Thursday in the Greiter mill.

Führungen: jeden Donnerstag von 13.00 – 17.00 Uhr und jeden 1. Sonntag im Monat von 13.00 – 17.00 Uhr, Gruppen auch auf Anfrage! (Juni – September)
Jeden 2. Donnerstag findet in der Mühle ein „Brotbacken wie zu Großmutters Zeiten“ statt – mit Verkostung und Verkauf.

Mit der Summercard ist der Eintritt kostenlos!

Sehenswertes an der Via Claudia

Römerbrücke in Tösens

Auf der westlichen Talseite, hoch über der nach Tösens führenden Innbrücke, steht am felsigen Talhang eine alte Steinbogenbrücke, im Volksmund „Römerbrücke“ genannt.
Die Brücke stammt eigentlich aus dem Mittelalter, ist aber in traditionell „römischer“ Technik gemauert und ist vermutlich die älteste erhaltene Brücke Tirols. Über diese Brücke führte die einstige schmale Straße nach Serfaus. Es war vielleicht ein Stück der Via Claudia Augusta, die aus der Gegend um Tschupbach über St. Georgen zur Hochfläche von Serfaus, Fiss und Ladis anstieg und von dort wieder nach Pontlatz herabführte.

 

Pontlatzbrücke in Prutz

Ein Stück Tiroler Geschichte - Die Pontlatzbrücke war 1703 und 1809 Schauplatz blutiger Kampfhandlungen zwischen Tiroler Schützenaufgeboten sowie Bayern und Franzosen.
Jenseits der Pontlatzbrücke ragt auf einem über vier Meter hohen Felsen aus Granit ein bronzener Adler, der mit seinen Fängen die Tiroler Landesfahne umkrallt. Unter dem Adler befindet sich ein Relief der Kaltenbrunner Muttergottes. Das Denkmal wurde vom Bildhauer Prof. Franz Serpikus Schranz (gebürtiger Prutzer) entworfen und in der Kunstgießerei in Wien gegossen.

 

Heilquelle Sauerbrunn

Über dem Inn, im Ortsteil Entbruck bei Prutz, sprudelt in einer Felsenhöhle eine Quelle mit besonders eisenhaltigem Mineralwasser. 
Überdurchschnittlich viel Eisen, Calzium, Magnesium und Schwefel fördern die Gesundheit! Deshalb und wegen seines guten Geschmacks erfreut sich das Wasser der Heilquelle Sauerbrunn eines großen Absatzes als abgefülltes Mineralwasser. Die relativ bescheiden vorhandene Kohlensäure macht Sauerbrunngetränke spritzig und frisch. Noch heute kann das Sauerbrunn-Wasser in Prutz kostenlos und direkt aus dem Felsen genossen werden.
Mineral- und Heilquellen begründeten oft den „Fremdenverkehr“, wie der Tourismus früher hieß – so auch in Prutz und damit im ganzen Tiroler Oberland.

Mini-Fundus in Pfunds

Es ist ein Gesamtkunstwerk: Direkt an der Via Claudia Augusta in Pfunds ist ein Liliput-Pfunds entstanden, das nicht nur Kinder begeistert.
Kurz vor der Wassertretanlage (Kneippanlage) Pfunds haben echte Künstler im Laufe der Jahre in schöner Waldumgebung Bauwerke von Pfunds nachgebaut – im Miniformat. Diese Kleiode sind eine wahre Augenweide für Betrachter aller Altersstufen. Mini Fundus – so der Name – bezieht sich auf den lateinischen Ursprung des Ortsnamens Pfunds: „fundus“ bedeutet „Grund & Boden“. 1282 scheint der Name Pfunds übrigens erstmals urkundlich auf. Nicht festen Grund & Boden, sondern kühles Wasser haben Kneipp-Freunde gerne unter den Füßen: Für das Kneippen mit einer konstanten Temperatur von ca. 8°C stehen drei Fußbecken und ein Armbecken zur Verfügung. Wohltuend sind auch die Rundsteine um die Becken, die die Fußreflexzonen angenehm stimulieren.

top
© 2017 TVB Tiroler Oberland - Tiroler Oberland Tourismus

You intend to recommend this URL:
https://www.tiroler-oberland.com/en/activities/summer/cultural-sights/culture