excursion & Sightseeing| place of excursions in the region| place of excursion Back to overview

Platzertal mine

At the Platzertal mine were the most important ore deposits in the district of Landeck. Mining took place at an altitude of 2500 to 3000 meters. Mining was granted to a union as early as 1539. Mainly lead, zinc and copper ores were mined, with ore reserves estimated at 1.5 million tons. The silver-rich lead ore was carefully sorted out on separate cutting sites, while the zinc blende was left unattended. It was only because of silver mining that the miners took on the arduous life in the high mountains. The silver was mainly processed in the mint in Hall near Innsbruck.

From 1610 to 1858, almost 250 years, mining was dormant and the deposits, buried by ice and snow, were almost forgotten. Unfavorable circumstances such as the death of the main entrepreneur and the war of 1859 brought about the renewed cessation of operations.

In 1881, the Innsbruck lawyer Dr. Ludwig Duregger acquired the mining rights and began prospecting in 1884. In the following years, the mine was operated annually from April to December and was further expanded. In 1896 there was a change of ownership. Again the facilities were further expanded.

The high production and transport costs prevented an economic operation, despite the high silver content. In 1910, the operation had to be stopped and the expensive facilities were left to decay.

In 1950, the tunnels were provisionally repaired by the Bleiberg Mining Union. The planned revival of ore extraction was thwarted by the fall in lead prices on the world market.

In 2007, the Platzertal Mine Association was founded. The aim of the association was to save the mine buildings from decay and to continue to preserve them. In 2020, the renovation of the Sailbahn station and the mountain houses could be completed with an inauguration ceremony. The mine buildings can be visited on your own in the course of a longer hike.

The walking time from the Pfundser Tschey to the mine is about 6 hours. This moderately difficult hike is worth every effort! To the hike

Opening hours
Accessible from approx. June to October, depending on weather conditions

Similar infrastructures

A-Z Betrieb
St. Leonhard parish church
For further information
Ried
A-Z Betrieb
Kaunertal power station
For further information
Prutz
A-Z Betrieb
Parish church St. Laurentius
For further information
Tösens
A-Z Betrieb
Maria Loreto Chapel
For further information
Ried
Ausflugsziel
Sculpture Park in the Zirbenwald Raduschl
For further information
Wooden sculptures | Mountain lake | Barbecue
Pfunds
A-Z Betrieb
Heimsuchungskapelle
For further information
Ried
A-Z Betrieb
Tullenerfeld Chapel
For further information
Prutz
A-Z Betrieb
Roman Bridge | Tösens
For further information
Tösens