excursion & Sightseeing| place of excursions in the region| castles Back to overview

Sigmundsried castle

Attraction

Named after the sovereign Duke Sigmund

In the 13th and 14th century, the castle served as the permanent residence of the noble family of the Lords of Ried. The Lords of Ried had a basilisk (a mythical creature in their coat of arms. This still adorns the municipal coat of arms of Ried.

1471/72 the expansion of the tower was made into a stately hunting lodge by the Tyrolean prince, Duke Sigmund the Münzreichen.

In 1550 the court seat was moved from the castle "Laudegg" (Ladis) to the castle Siegmundsried. It functioned as the seat of the court until 1978. Then it was owned by the Austrian army for a few years. Since 1999, the castle has been owned by the town on Ried.

Similar infrastructures

Ausflugsziel
Nauders Fortress
For further information
Nauders Fortress
Nauders
A-Z Betrieb
Parish church St. Laurentius
For further information
Tösens
A-Z Betrieb
Lindenplatz Chapel
For further information
Ried
A-Z Betrieb
War Memorial | Prutz
For further information
Prutz
A-Z Betrieb
St. Leonhard parish church
For further information
Ried
Ausflugsziel
Lake in winter | Ried
For further information
Winterhiking
Ried
Ausflugsziel
Naudersberg Castle
For further information
Former sovereign castle and court
Nauders
A-Z Betrieb
Maria Ascension Parish church
For further information
Prutz